Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Big fried" Pumpin-kuih

So here you are, hot wok fried pumpkin pie, with chopped spring onion, cut celery leaves, pepper, soya sauce and an egg - my very own"char kim quih-kuih" (hope my mom is not rolling on the floor laughing now)...hmmm yummy, tasted just like fried carrot cake.
It was a pleasant discovery - a unintended twist from an otherwise disastrous pumpkin pie. Cousin YQ has moved to KL recently and I wanted to invite her over for Sunday brunch. Since she is a pure vegan, I thought baking a pumpkin pie would be a great alternative to my usual salmon recipe. The pumpkin pie, to my disappointment, did not taste as good as it looked. It wasnt salty enough and the sweetness of pumpkin filling killed the umph.

Luckily cousin was busy and couldnt make it to the Sunday brunch so that gave me some time to figure out what I do with this pie. Then I overheard the busy chatter from the TV in the living room of two chatty TV Singaporean hosts salivating over the famous "char-kway-teow". Wallah, I have got an idea !

2 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Dr. Heckle said...

Yum!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Usually you add a bit salt, fried small onion and grounded pepper into the pumkin mixture to balance off the sweetness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home