Saturday, August 01, 2009

Speedy Recovery

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago. This has sent shock waves in the family. Admist anxiety, worries and fear, we scrambled to find ways to understand and to come to terms with this news. It was her courage and optimism that calm me and us all.

Her surgery was successful and treatment will commence soon. Meanwhile she has modified her diet, switched to fish, cut down red meat, added more fruits and fresh vegies. She has been taking quite a lot of salmon to help her protein supplement. Living 500km away from her, all I could give is moral support. Hence I have decided to follow her diet. It was a revealing experience for me. I have never realized that how difficult it is to find healthy food. Convenient food almost always contain either too much oil, too much sugar, too much additives. Worst of all they are almost everywhere - roti canai, teh tarik, kopi kau, beef noodles, nasi lemak...and the list goes on.

Like today I was looking for an afternoon snack. I hunted the entire Bangsar Baru from one eateries to another and finally resorted to a pumpkin soup and toast. Previously I would have just gorged down a roti kosong with sambal daal and teh tarik.

So tonight I baked myself a salmon pie. I steamed the salmon before hand. Then I shredded them and lined them at the bottom of my baking bowl. Then on top, a layer of crunchy cauli flower and celery and then a good layer of mashed potato. I have also replaced diary milk with soya milk when I prepared the mashed potato. Of course the black pepper for seasoning is an absolute must. Walaah ! Here you go ..... may my sister have the strength of salmon and wishing her a speedy recovery.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Eternal Sunshine said...

i think your salmon pie is too thick.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Prisc can be your baking advisor. She makes very good pie.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Vegie said...

Hehehe 多多指教

 

Post a Comment

<< Home