Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Lilac Boulevard

Training finally ended on Sunday 4:30pm. My return flight was Monday the same time. Hence I decided to spend my Monday walking around down town Sydney. The last time I was here was almost a decade ago. I had the most memorable pasta olio next to the Sydney Opera House. I remember the delicious pasta bathed in the fragrance of generous dose of extra virgin olive oil and the defining taste of the crunchy pine nuts that was sprinkled ravishingly around the plate.

However this time round I was too early for the bistro. The waiters were still setting up the tables and wiping the chairs. I took a leisure stroll along the King Wharf and passed this boulevard lined with trees with beautiful lilac flowers.

The rain that soon followed forced me to take shelter in an Italian restaurant nearby. I was greeted by a big burly Italian man with a round belly and a broad smile. He gestured to me to sit anywhere I like and asked me what I would like to drink in a thick Italian English accent. He told me food was served at the counter. To my delights and amusement, the long counter was the atypical Rome style, lined with ten different types of salads, twenty different types of hot meal and 5 types of soups. I chose a vegetarian dish that looked like a sauté combo of three difference types of capsicum and pickles and carrots and the most delightful of all, my favorite pine nuts. I ate it with delicious bread. A glass of red wine would be just de perfecto ma ma mia.

This was a very delicious lunch and was a shame that I was too full for their tiramisu. The rain has subsided. I had the Modern Art Museum to visit before I headed to the airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home