Saturday, October 21, 2006

Rajkumar and Namia


Namiah is 4 year old Indian girl with beautiful black eyes. For a four year old, she is very good in colouring. Rajkumar is 6 but a little bit too skinny compared to boys of his age. Rajkumar has two other older brothers. Together with Namiah, and and 12 other old folks, all three brothers shared the roof of Rumah Kewajipan Kasih Sayang together. Rajkumjar’s mother, who is a single mother herself, is the live-in care-taker of the Home.

Rumah Kewajipan Kasih Sayang is a welfare home set up by Mr.Ragu, a resident of Serendah and a tow truck driver working for one of the local finance companies. His wife, Mrs. Ragu was an orphan from young and her wish has always been to take care of older folks. Decided to fulfill his wife’s wish, Mr.Ragu obtained the necessary permit 2 years ago and with the help of a group of friends, they fund and manage a welfare home in a rented house just a stone throw away from their own home.

Every morning before going to work, Mr.Ragu and two care-takers will bath the old folks and see the children to school. The home is very basic with one television, a dining table, basic cooking facilities and beds within the four walls. During the day, the residents will be just sitting around and staring into the blank space. The TV will be turned on in the late afternoon.

The last trip in September when I came to deliver the donated foodstuff, I saw one of the younger children completely engrossed in an old Astro magazine. It struck me that the things that I used to do as a child are luxyry to them. There is no children’s playing corner, colouring books, toys, story books and dolls. When I drove home that evening, I felt an urge to do something. The concept of a children's mobile library with donated children's books might be just it !

This trip in October I did not load my car with potato, tepung and adult pampers. Instead it is a bag of children's readers and colouring books donated from my generous friends Racun, Assam-boi and Seetau-Po. The happy Hedge smiling in the background is donated by a friend who is working with the press and probably has picked it up from the movie gala night. He also passed some old magazines with high-quality printed glossy pictures of interior designs and recipes. The old folks just love reading them.

If the books are just left passively at the home, I doubt if the children will be interested. My commitment is to to read to the children and get them to do some activities during my monthly visit. The old folks love our company too. My buddy Life-treker who came with me with Nutty Nat, is certainly a charmer and popular amongst aunties of all races in the home. Giving him time, I bet he will find out even the most personal stories from each of the residents of the home.

I shall also bring along each time a new change of books. Nutty Nat has a little bookshelf that she no longer uses. She will give it to the home for their bookshelf. Another friend Uncle H has already suggested to sponsor ice creams

Hopefully donation of books will grow over time, and more volunteers will be enrolled to read to the children and visit the home. I am looking forward to my November visit.

3 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger owlmeadow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Vegie said...

Thank you Owlmeadow !

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Priscilla said...

Haha, first all your friends name so funny one, got seetau-po, nutty-nut and so forth. Really enjoyed seeing you doing the reading with the children and makes me feel sad that there are kids out there that are missing out on something so simple but yet so precious. Keep it up! So proud of you and your frens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home