Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Finding my Voice

I did not find this gallery by myself. It came as a recommendation. The person who recommended, Mr Stone Mountain told me that Reka was a young but influential gallery and I should speak to SK. Two weeks into my search for galleries and still no site in sight, anywhere would do for me. All I wanted was a space.

I dialed the number and explained that I was referred to him by a Mr.Stone Mountain. He said I could come over and bring some of my work. How about I first sent you photographs, apparently unaccustomed to his departure from the usual email-me-your-work-don’t-call me- I call you procedure. Just come over, he said, he will be working in the gallery the whole day. I concluded that my referer Mr. Stone Mountain must be someone whose words carry weight.

Reka gallery is facing an open field where a few construction workers were pounding away. The wind was so strong that it almost blew my paintings away. SK was speaking to someone at the entrance and he signaled to me that I should wait inside. The space was partitioned into a work studio and gallery. On the elevated table at the side there was an incomplete charcoal sketch of someone’s still life study. On the wall hung a large wall length work-in-progress comprising of interleaving rectangles of various lengths, size and colors. I glided into the the gallery. Lights were dim but the photography work on display by a young photographer showed perspectives and breadth of outdoor vision.

I read from the website that SK himself is a practicing artist whose works ranging from paintings to stage production and he teaches art too. He soon finished his conversation and walked over to introduce himself. I placed by the way the three paintings “Walking up the Aisle”, “Morning Walk” and “Kedai Runcit”. SK has a lanky frame and he stood looking at my work and pondering for a whole. My heart was beating really fast but I insisted that he speak the truth. He nodded when I explained that I was just a weekend hobbyist. He explained that to him the work presented did not carry a very clear message, which was to be expected from student’s work. “You do want to say something with your painting, but you have not found your voice yet.”

“To have an exhibition, is like staging a play at a theater. It is more than just to present aesthetically pleasing work. You need to have a message – a voice”

I could see where he was coming from. I was not disappointed at all because no one has put that across that clearly. He could not have stressed more the importance of sharpening our senses as artists towards our surroudings and shaping our own point of view. SK might have put it in a different way, it effectively rhythms with what Apollo said about observing and receiving inspiration from the universe.

SK advised me to frequent other art exhibitions to learn from other artists and explore other mediums too. Most importantly is to develop my own point of view. He recommended me a book named Art Fundamentals and Core Concepts and welcome me to look him up if I need a critic or sparing partner. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger JJ said...

This SK seems to have told you some good point about painting .

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Vegie said...

chiansc, you are right. SK's words mark the 1st turning point in my search for the truth in art.

Wow Sze Wooi,what a surprise. Am flaterred that you visit my blog. Yes, it is indeed important that for artists to be original, unique and believing in what they do. That is why Fantasia is my idol of the idols. Thank you for your support. I look forward to the day when you find that "something" in my work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home