Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Excuse me, you are blocking

My father was worried sick thinking that I was going to be a full time artist. I romanticized being an artist over a cup of café mocha. Before I even finished half a cup, I have come to a satisfying conclusion that struggling artist and material comfort do not go that well together. I am one who is too entrenched in my habit of swiping plastic for luxury and conveniences. The thought of going cold turkey to cut ties with my plastic is just too frightening. So don’t worry Dad.

No news from Persian Lily still. I have a strange feeling that I most probably would end up preparing for this exhibition all by myself.

I called the gallery that Spectacled D recommended. A lady who sounded a bit agitated picked up the phone. I told her my intention to rent her gallery for a joint exhibition. She said she was busy and should email her photographs of my work. I must have caught her at the wrong time.

I proceeded to dial a list of numbers I obtained from the gallery listing in http://www.kakiseni.com/ . For some numbers the phone just kept on ringing. For some it was the usual email-me-your-work-don’t call me- I call you. There are a few who were very helpful but did not call me after they saw my work.

I tried to remain upbeat and wished they could just name a price, let the space and stop bothering about seeing my work. After all it was a joint exhibition. There was a gallery located at a very attractive avenue at Avenue K and did not even ask to email photographs. I was exhilarated but soon discovered that the rental was way beyond my imagination.

Persian Lady eventually replied saying that she was too busy but would call Galeri Maybank in a couple of days. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home