Monday, May 29, 2006

The Preparation


While waiting for Persian Lily to contact Maybank Gallery, I set out to compile a photographic archive of my work. Some paintings were given away as presents to friends and family members residing outside Malaysia. Through email and sms they sent me photographic images of my work which I assembled into internet album complete with details of dates painted, dimensions and my experience of each of the pieces.

A week had passed and still no news from Persian Lily. I had a funny feeling that nothing was going to happen unless I started to act.

I remembered a gallery located at the exclusive suburb of Bukit Damansara where I visited once for an exhibition by a Thai Impressionist artist. A friendly voice answered when I called. He asked if I am a full time artist and enquired the nature of my work. I said no we are not, but just weekend hobbyists wanting to rent his gallery. I realized now that statement was enough for him to hang up the phone. But he did not. He told me that his gallery was selective with the work they exhibit and more often than not, they preferred to showcase work from professional artists. However he encouraged me to send him pictures of my work and to my surprise, to see him at his gallery.

It was a hot afternoon but his gallery was tucked away comfortably in the shades. Apparently the gallery had just staged an exhibition from a female South American artist. Most of the work had been sold and the few pieces that left hanging at the end of the gallery have red dots marking reserved pieces. The person whom I spoke to on the phone, Spectacled D came out to greet me. He was very friendly but I was still nervous. He asked me if I brought my work. I told him the works were in the car as I was a bit shy to bring them out. He shot me a disbelieving glare wondering if my intention to exhibit was real. Realized that I was making a huge mistake, without hesitation, I ushered out of my car three of my paintings from Tree Series. He leaned them against the wall under the light and examined them.

He turned around and asked me why I paint. Through the conversation, he explained to me that this gallery is a family-owned business and he is the 2nd generation. He is managing it himself now because his curator decided to take a break to travel the world. He explained his gallery’s preference to give priority to professional artists who have been supporting his gallery. Professional artists are particular about their gallery remaining exclusive. While I thought he was declining me politely, he turned the pages of his diary and checked the availability of his gallery. He told me there is a short 1 week slot in late September and suggested that is best that I rent instead of selling for obvious reason. He quoted me the price for rental which I knew was above our budget. He encouraged me to look around and gave me two other galleries who could be more open to young artists. Most importantly, he said, was to continue painting.

Before we parted, he told me Morning Walk was quite a decent piece. The sun was still glaring when I stepped out. Be bold and brave, I gather, was the lesson of the day. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Ya, something to know about this exhibition circle. A door has been closed but where is the next one that will possibly open? Keep looking.

JJ

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Vegie said...

I will, definitely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home