Sunday, March 04, 2007

A different perspective

It took me 2 weeks of putting up with constant nagging and another 3 weeks of procrastination before I picked up the contest form. Kimmy got all excited when she caught sight of the poster while slurpping her Penang laksa one day. She went all ga ga over the prospect of winners being able to exhibit at the foodcourts at 3 continents ( ie Penang, Singapore and China) and a juicy prize money enough to afford half a myVii.

Being arrogant, I decided it is not my cup of tea. However Hailam 2, my brother in crime put forward a different perspective. Will I not be curious to find out how I could improve myself ? Will I not find it useful to learn how the public judge arts ? Not for the rewards, but for the process. Indeed, it is not the destination, but the journey that counts.

So here I am, with the entry form in front of me, am struggling to select my best 3 entries and frying my brain for a 50 words paragraph about why I paint.

As an artist, space and light move me. While space evokes the impulse in me to connect, lights captures the defining moment when possibilities revealed themselves. Immortalize space and lights onto canvas are my way of sharing that experience.

More on different perspective :
I practiced the principle recently with my colleague Cat. Our client requested for a modification in the training curriculum as they would like to simplify their logistic arrangement. Cat felt that the suggested changes would impact the learning outcome. She is right but client is not wrong. Instead of bulldozing her into accepting client's concern on logistic, I walked through the client's suggestion from the perspective of learning outcome. During the process, we worked on solutions to address the concern that Cat brought up. Viola, within 5 minutes, she gave her node to the client's suggestion. Both client and us are happy.

I learn that in a discussion, there are so many different ways to come to an agreement. To convince someone to agree with something, the secret might just be to explain my suggestion through the eyes of the other party. Put my ego neatly in my handbag and wear that person's shoes. Mom used to say "all routes lead to Rome". As long as we agree to the same conclusion, it really does not matter from whose perspective we have taken.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Priscilla said...

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more. Likewise in child care or when seeing a child doing a piece of art/craft, it is often the process the children go through with their experiences that is important, does not matter if the rabbit has one eye, and 3 buck teeth, it is still a rabbit according to the child.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Yes. agree with Harimau.

JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home