Saturday, December 20, 2008

When you cook, watch out for the smoke detector

The story about me cooking in Hong Kong was not that simple. In every apartment, there is a smoke detector fixed at an extremely intimate distance from the stove. All my mates have always been paranoid about setting off the fire alarm and one of them actually did. I pride myself for being always careful by turning the aircon onto full blast. But then autumn came. So on one rather cold evening where the temperature dropped to 12C, I forgot all about my usual procedure. While I was absorbed in the melody of the sizzling tomatos and mushrooms, I heard a hasty knock on my door. There it was the attendant from the management office who sprint immediately into my room and dashed to the aircon and switched it on full blast. Just in time before the swirling noise of the fire alarm bell threw everyone out onto the street on a cold autumn night.

So the next day, I found a letter slipped under my door.

Dear Miss Veg,

We write to brief you about the fire alert that occured around 22:05pm, on 20th November 2008. Due to our requirment for safety, our fire alarm is quite sensitve to heat and smoke. In order to minimize the incidents of false fire alarms, it is highly recommended that the air-conditioning be turned at high fan speed while cooking or toasting.

We give our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused.

With kind regards
xxxxx
Assistant Manager

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Eternal Sunshine said...

how would the management office attendent know that your house is full of smoke before the smoke alarm went off. Dont you find that a bit dodgy?

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Vegie said...

Good question :) I asked the office guy the same question too. Apparently it was a level 1 warning detected at the office. If smoke persists then will trigger off the ultimate alarm RRRRRINGGG...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home