Sunday, July 23, 2006

Celebrating the Differences in us

Fitting in, or the difficulty of it, has been a struggle for many. Likewise for me, it has been a long struggle. I was looking in vain for like-minded people that share my passion, my views and my stand in life. I traveled the globe, from cities to cities, hopefully to find a community that I could fit in. The further I went, the more isolated I felt. So I came home. That was 10 years ago. But being extremely conscious that I am very different from many others, I chose corporate career as my camouflage.

One day I decided that it was futile to continue denying the fact that I am different. I might as well come to term with it. Suddenly it was like a cell wall dissolving away magically in front of my eyes. I began to notice the differences in people around me. Many of them have visionary views and talents that I never knew exist in Malaysians. Unlike me, they did not try to hide their uniqueness. Away from the limelight, assuming the roles of artists, writers, volunteer workers, they work quietly on their true calling. Suddenly I realize these people have always been there. It was me whose eyes have been looking away from them.

I learnt that fitting in is an internal process that comes from first stop resisting the person we are. Our heart speaks to us all the time but unless we appreciate and believe in ourselves, we will not hear the callings of our heart.

To my cousin Eu Qiu who is starting her journey as a Malaysian designer in the commercial art world of Chicago, I wish her all the best, and all the courage for pursuing what she believes in.

The picture in the blog is one of her work. I do not necessarily agree we the mood the work, but I applaud her in the clever use of photography, graphics and perspectives.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Yes, I understand . Dare to be different.

JJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home