Sunday, November 20, 2005

I love Malaysia

I woke up today feeling recharged. I left one window opened last night. The morning breeze sneaked in with a tinkling chill like ice on my toes. The sleepy Kuala Lumpur landscape is so alluring under the distant mist of the mountain range. I wonder how long will the folks be celebrating the Hari Raya for it has been 2 weeks now and KL is still very quiet.

Kuala Lumpur is so different from hectic Hong Kong and competitive China. Jeffrey told me that during Kelly Rally Friday night, Kelly told the graduates that Malaysian graduates are the warmest and the most passionate lot. However good Kelly did not conceal the truth that Malaysians are less result-oriented when compared to our East Asian fellow neighbours.

Nothing is perfect. You lose some. You win some. I curled up in my bed finishing the last chapters of Zahir, the book that caused such a concussion in diehard diamond bachelor Jeffrey that he is now a happy man with his girlfriend Weni. Jeff said Puteri could not get across the third pages. I don’t blame her because she could have seen herself suffering like Marie if not Esther. Esther is my hero. She has the courage to leave the comfort of being with her husband to pursue the ultimate universal love for mankind and the real meaning of love.

While I was musing over the journey of Esther in Zahir, I realized that these few weeks I have come in contact with many people from the far away land like Utah, Tibet and Benin. I feel like an L license space traveller who has in panic, stepped on the accelerator of my time travel machine which is now speeding out of control into space time tunnel. From Queenie to Minnie, from Ray to Rae, from Teacher Chin to the sleepy Indian guard at my hotel, my world has sped past me faster than the bullet train. Is this a movie trailer of the journey to come? Probably my horoscope will say something like the stubborn taureans loath changes. But they often missed out the fact that taureans, stubborn as they are, do not change their mind once they have made their decisions.

Or have I? I believe I have. But in this real world, I have chosen not to be nonchalant as Esther who could leave practically everything behind to live in the Steppes. As we have always been taught in the leadership-training program that a good human being will leave a place better off, I invested enormous amount of energy to balance this transition stage. At times I wonder if this effort is worth it, especially when I see how strenuous trying to balance myself standing on two boats. When push comes to shove, I know my choice will be with the one who is still paying my salary. Dad would say a bird in hand is better than thousands of birds in the forest.

It is easy to lose myself in the excitement of whirlwind corporate circles. Despite what Kelly said about Malaysians being less result-driven than our neighbours, Malaysia makes me grounded. Ultimately what is the point of life without getting in touch with whom we really are? At least I know, Malaysia is where my family, my friends and my paintings are.

1 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger afflatus said...

reading this as your "grounding" led me to do a couple of things today to now "ground" me again. thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home