Sunday, February 24, 2008

When they are not taking things for granted...

I interruped my usual homey blog with what touched me in a recent debate between Hillary and Obama at the University of Texas. It was a long debate that covers a wide areas from healthcare, to the war. Towards the end, the anchor posed one last question to both candidates "Describe the moment when you were tested the most", which I thought "ya right...sounds like a school council election.

Obama answered first with story about his difficult childhood and how his father left him when he was very young. Then it was Hillary's turn. "Everyone knows that I have gone through a number of crisis in life" to which the aundience burst out in cheers of agreement. She then went on to share a personal experience of a center for injured soldiers which she recently visited. While I was wondering what that was about, she went on in a low and yet resolved tone,"The hits I have taken in my life are nothing compared to what many are going through in their life. I resolved at a very young age that I have been blessed and that I was called by my faith and upbringing to do what I could to give others the same opportunities and blessings that I took for granted. That is what gets me up in the morning and that is what motivates me ......"

No Hillary you have not taken things for granted. In fact, you are fighting to make a difference to others. This reminds me of a 74 yro old lady named Sue whom I met in a recent training for us trainers. She was there to learn how to become a better trainer. Sue runs a support group for Carer of the Mentally ill in Ipoh. A divorcee and a retired English teacher, she has a mentally ill son herself whom she has been caring for many years. Over the years, Sue has single handedly brought up her two children, and yet maintained her job as an English teacher for the O-level students. Her daughter, YL is a friend of mine, who runs a very successful outdoor training firm. The experience of Sue being a carer herself made her realize how little support carers in Malaysia, compared to countries like US and Australia.

Hence she decided, at age 73, to start a support group, running courses and support group activities for carers themselves. She even enrolled another friend of her daughter who is a drum teacher to conduct drum circle for the carers as a recreational activity once every month. With drums and percussion, the carers have fun making music and connecting with each other. When asked why she is doing all this when she should be retiring. She smiled and replied "Well, I am still healthy and able... I have no ambition for a big carer association....in fact I even asked the lawyer to put a clause in the association's charter to limit my carers' club size ....all I wish to do is bring the carers together so that they will have someone to go to when they need help." A lady, whose compassion and grace , shone through her eyes, right from her heart. No one in the class expected that she was already 74.

So Hillary, way to go. If I am an American, she will get my vote. To Sue, and to my mom, your zest for life and quest for what lies beyond, continue to inspire me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home