Friday, December 28, 2007

My New Working Life

I believe my parents have a great impact on me on my work ethics, and my mom specifically on my drive to lead a contributing life. In her latest letter addressed to her siblings and her children about her semi-retirement plan, I was touched by her passion in living fruitfully. My mom has a 20 years career as a translator. Running the risk of being corrected, here is my first attempt of translating her chinese letter to English.

~ the letter titled : My new working life ~

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I just celebrated my 65th birthday. Moving forward I realize that I need to reduce my working hours and to make time for leisure and entertainment. Hence I resigned from my current position of a full time chief librarian of Chung Hwa Middle School to work half time starting from next year. I shall be assisting in the library operations for 3 days a week

I graduated in 1964 from the then Nanyang University. In this 43 years of my working life I had experienced 3 different jobs; initially as a teacher, then a translator and in the latest stage of my career life, a librarian. Of all 3 jobs, I found teaching being the hardest and it lasted for only 5 years. Hence I have upmost respect for great teachers. Being a managing librarian is the most satisfying and fulfilling of all the 3 jobs I had. However the one job that gave me the most enriching life experiences and the financial well-being to raise my children was the 20 over years as a translator.

I am extremely lucky l to have the chance to experience 3 different career paths. All of them brought me great joy and upmost satisfaction. It is my wish to continue living meaningfully regardless whether it is a full-time or half-time jobs. In this respect, I feel utterly blessed to always have the support and encouragement of my 2nd sister.

To my dearest brothers and sisters who are still working, I wish you enjoy every moment of your working life. Do handle it calmly and steadily when you are faced with difficulties.

Wishing all great successes in their career, and good health

Sincerely yours
Sook Chen
21/12/2007

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Thank you Wendy.

Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home