Sunday, February 05, 2006

True to the Spirit of Archeology

I have been studying the rays of the Malaysian sunset. Not that I am a sci-fi fiction writer nor a fortune teller.

During the tour to Eqypt, our tour guide Mr. Wael told us that that the shape of the pyramid is actually inspired by the obligue rays of the desert sunlights. When we finally arrived at the Sakkara Pyramid near the Sphinx , Mr Wael pointed to the sky. True to his words, the sunlights from the mid afternoon sun came down like a shape of a pyramid. According to Mr.Wael, the ancient Egyptian pharoahs worshipped God Rae ( the Sun God ) and believed that when they died they united with God Rae. When they saw the sun rays, they believed that that was the way to heaven. As a result, they built their pyramid tomb in the shape of the sunrays, with the belief that will help them ascend to Heaven.

Now back in Malaysia, I have been trying in vain to catch a glimpse of the Malaysian sunrays, trying to find its resemblance to a pyramid. Finally today on my way home to my apartment, I caught the sun setting behind my block. Holding my breadth, I pulled out my Olympus and clicked like a paparazi, fearing that setting sun rays will not last for more than a minute.

Here is the picture. Well, it does look some what like a pyramid - just that it is an inverted one ! Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Mr Wael has said the right thing. May be you can continue to try and snap at sunray at places other than Egypt and proves Mr Wael wrong one day.Will wait to see.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Vegie said...

Good thing that our sultans in ancient time did not worship God Rae. Otherwise many heads would roll trying to build an inverted pyramid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home